Wednesday 20 January 2016

DIY RCA Inter-Connect (RCA IC)

Construction my own RCA IC

This is my final construct of RCA IC for my DAC and AMP.


The common solution used for RCA cable is the 22AWG Belden 1505F.
The spec sheet can be found here.


Upon encouragement from Timber, i proceeded with the order of Neutrik RCA heads.

Mfr. Part No. NYS373-2

Neutrik adapter was used on the Beyerdynamic T1 too.
So i figured it would be good enough without having to spend too much and focus on the cable itself.

Having soldering iron and solders gave me motivation to try without having to spend extra.

Construction of RCA Cable



For my cable selection, I had a length of spare marine cable around. It is 2.5 mm2 cable.
It is approximately AWG 13 for this size.

Per core 2.5 mm2. Solid copper core. Per core is d=0.7 mm x 6 strands.
I stripped the outer insulation, di-electric layer and steel wire braid, keeping the wire and PVC insulation.
The OD of the wire is 3.5mm with insulation PVC grade ST2.


The second layer is a flexible OD6xID4mm Polyurethane (PU) Air Tubing





The copper sheath is taken from my spare coaxial cable and it fits well on the blue PU air tubing.


Got the 2:1 shrink tube from audio store as well as extra RCA adapters as my order has not yet arrived.


The adapter is for small gauge wires only. To overcome my thick 7.5mm outer diameter, I had to remove the plastic insert.


To adjust the slack between the cable and adapter, i added another short length of shrink to beef up the thickness.



My first time soldering. Well, sacrificed two adapters while learning where to solder. The thick wire gauge is a challenge to work with.


The finished product. 10" length 13AWG interconnects. 
Yes, i know it is an over-kill with such a short & thick cable.

The freebie 1.5m RCA cable has resistance of 0.004 ohm.
The resistance of DIY cable is 0.000 ohm

Summary of Parts
13 AWG stranded copper wire with PVC insulation OD 3.5 mm
OD 6 x ID 4 mm Polyurethane (PU) Air Tubing as 2nd di-electric layer
Copper sheath of OD 7.5 mm
Shrink Tube 2:1 to finish the outer insulation
Neutrik NYS373-2 RCA adapters


On di-electric materials
http://www.pvc.org/en/p/electrical-insulation-characteristics

Foam High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) is the usual Di-electric for Belden 1505F


No comments:

Post a Comment